Sunday, March 7, 2010

Shopping and the "Bump"


As many of you know, I am pregnant. Which, unfortunately, has started to put a damper on shopping. Yesterday, I visited my first maternity store, and found the experience to be dreadful. It seemed as though the dresses were all made out of super thin jersey (which is not flattering when you are bulging everywhere), and very pricey for what you were getting. So, I skipped out of that store and made my way to other "normal" shops to find items that even a growing pregnant girl can wear. Here are a few of my finds (since these items are not "maternity" they may be useful to you non-pregnant blog followers as well)....

1. BCBG tunic- If you buy this tunic a few sizes up, it really looks cute and fits nicely. You can pair it with leggings or jeans. I tried it on, so can vouch for its ability to fit a "bump."

2. BCBG T-shirt This t-shirt comes in a few colors and is super stretchy and long. Again, opt for a size or two up and you can layer it over a tank top, paired with a cropped jacket, for a cute look.

3. BCBG printed dresses- These dresses look deceiving online and in the store, however the polyester/spandex blend is really stretchy, doesn't wrinkle, and fits very comfortably. I tried this particular dress on in a size up, and think it will work for the workplace (with a jacket on top) or out with heels and a cardigan. They have a wrap dress in this material that also fits well.

4. American Apparel- I think I have professed my undying love for these leggings pre-pregnancy over and over. But, now I have the joy that they work well with an expanding stomach. The high-waist acts as a band of sorts and really holds everything in. If you are later in your pregnancy I would opt for a size up so the constricting band doesn't feel too tight. They have a regular or shiny black option for casual/evening. These are a must for anyone (pregnant or not).

5. Banana republic layering tank This tank top is great because of its loose bottom and flowy style. Paired with jeans and a bright sweater, it would be a great basic piece for layering.

6. Pea in the Pod jeans At some point, I will have to break down and buy some maternity jeans. This is the one item that I think you can't buy anywhere but a maternity store. I haven't narrowed down an exact pair yet, but am leaning towards skinny jeans (I know its an oxymoron- skinny maternity jeans). Skinny jeans work well with flats, and the longer, boot cut styles, really only work with heels. Also, if your top is on the baggy side, its best to go with a slimmer bottom. One note is that the J-brand maternity jeans (which I did try on) do not have the high waistband. Therefore, they sort of ride low, which could be uncomfortable.

6. Joes Jeans- This jacket is super cool and would look great with a loose t-shirt or tank top underneath. It could work as a spring jacket while the temps are still low, and black is a wonderfully slimming color choice.

2 comments:

  1. Video Marketing Services - i-comm has been a leading provider of digital communications for more than 15 years, delivering cost-effective, high impact video marketing solutions across all business and media landscapes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa: from this post I learned that I wear pregnancy clothes ALL the time....will come in handy when I am actually pregnant!

    ReplyDelete